Instalment Forty Four

Black as Noir
Episode One - Lost for words


“My sister’s been missing a week,” he said, “You gotta find her.”
“Why me?”
“You’re first in the book.”
He’s right, ABCDetectives first cab off the rank when your fingers do the walking, cheesy name and all, but working the worst dive neighbourhood in a town that’s drowning I can’t afford to be subtle.
“I found a note, says she’s run off to find God in Alphabet City, only there aint no convents there, you gotta help me Mister.”
B.I.N.G.O. Sizing him up, he looks like my next rent check and bar tab in one, a days work that I can stretch halfway to next week.
“Fifty a day plus whateva cabbage it takes to get lips flapping.”
“My folks will wire the money once you find her.”
“I’ll need a picture and if she has one, a name.”
“Kit, well Kitty, Kitty Mortél.”
Funny, he didn’t sound French but still, his cash had the right accent.

Napping till dusk I headed to the one place in town where everyman knows he’ll find God when the lights go out, The Sisters of Easy Virtue, the drinks run dear but a girl’s affection will only cost you a couple of rounds.

Next week - A nun's litany

No comments:

Post a Comment